Monday, July 22, 2013

"The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" by A. Conan Doyle

This collection of 11 Sherlock Holmes stories does not contain any of my favorites, unlike The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  Still, I quite like "Silver Blaze" and "The Naval Treaty."  But I think I've only read Memoirs once before, as it ends with "The Final Problem," and I kind of avoid that one.  Even though I know the outcome of that tussle at Reichenbach Falls, the story still makes me sad.  When I got to it this time through, I actually put off reading it for more than a day.  But I'd never get to The Hound of the Baskervilles if I didn't finish this, so I made myself read it.

I don't actually have a lot to say about this book.  Eleven confounding mysteries, lots of great moments where Holmes gets to be brilliant and Watson gets to be brave.  Very enjoyable and readable.  Maybe I'm just not in a loquacious mood today.  Maybe I'm still bummed from "The Final Problem."

Particularly Good Bits:

"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest forms."  ("The Greek Interpreter")

"You are the stormy petrel of crime, Watson."  ("The Naval Treaty")

"...it is stupidity rather than courage to refuse to recognize danger when it is close upon you."  ("The Final Problem")

If This Was a Movie, I Would Rate it:  PG for dangerous situations, violence, and suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)