Thursday, April 17, 2014

"Edmund Bertram's Diary" by Amanda Grange

Sigh.  I suppose that if Jane Austen herself couldn't make Edmund Bertram interesting to me, there wasn't much hope that Amanda Grange could.  Still, I had hoped.

Oh well.  This is a very nice book, if not one that I clasped to my bosom with exclamations of joy.  And that's all I really expected:  a nice retelling of Mansfield Park from Edmund's point of view.  It's not Amanda Grange's fault that Edmund is an extremely dull person.  She did her best with what she had to work with.

This is the sixth book I've read and reviewed for the Mount TBR Reading Challenge.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  G.  Very clean and proper.

3 comments:

  1. Straight, to the point...I like your review. I haven't read this book, but I've always felt that Edmund was much better brother material than husband material. But I have never quite understood Fanny either, so I guess it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I don't really get Fanny, and no matter how many commentaries and discussions of MP I read, I can never seem to get a feel for her. I've come to the conclusion that all the characters in MP are more archetypes than characters, representing different things and not just being people.

      Delete
    2. Nice observation, I think you're right.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)