Thursday, April 3, 2014

LOTR Read-Along: The Stairs of Cirith Ungol (TTT Ch. 19)

I have nightmares like this chapter.  Impossibly steep steps, winding trails going through mountains -- but usually someone's chasing me in those dreams, and at least no one's directly chasing Frodo and Sam here.  Still, it's very tense and nail-biting-inducing.  

And I'm very sad over the moment where Gollum comes up to the sleeping Frodo and is almost a hobbit-like creature again, quiet and old and pitiable.  And then Sam wakes up and speaks less-than-kindly too him and, without knowing it, pretty much sets Gollum's feet irretrievably on the path to doom and giant spiders.  Phooey.

Favorite Lines:

Frodo and Sam were plodding along with heavy hearts, no longer able to care greatly about their peril (p. 688).

Possible Discussion Questions:

Can you believe we're only two chapters away from the end of the book?  This went a lot faster than I was expecting, to be honest!

4 comments:

  1. Yes...this chapter is just hard. All the way around.

    How are your little people feeling? Better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we get a break soon from all this gloomy stuff.

      They are so much better, thanks! They just have coughs lingering, that's all. Whew!

      Delete
  2. I would not want to climb that stair. I am always happy in the book, though, that Frodo does not reject Sam. That part KILLS me in the movie, and it's such a relief not to have to live through that in the book.

    I love Minas Morgul and how it lights up. Freaky place.

    My favorite line in this chapter is one of my favorites in the movie too: "Sneaking," said Gollum, and the green glint did not leave his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! The whole pushing-Sam-away thing in the movie breaks my heart. And makes me want to slap Frodo. Grr.

      Minas Morgul is quite groovy in an evil way :-D

      Good line!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)