Tuesday, June 24, 2014

LOTR Read-Along: Many Partings (ROTK Ch. 16)

The exchange between Gimli and Eomer makes me laugh aloud.  Especially when Gimli says flatly, "Then I must go for my axe" (p. 953).  They're so silly, arguing ultra-seriously about which elf is more beautiful -- I get such a kick out of them.

And I like the exchange between Eowyn and Aragorn.  Eowyn grows and changes a lot in these books, more than some of the more "main" characters, and I love that she's found peace and self-understanding.

But the rest of this chapter makes me sad.  I hate endings, I hate partings, I hate change.  Sniff.

Favorite Lines:

"...the tree grows best in the land of its sires" (p. 952).

"You should know that above all I hate the caging of live things, and I will not keep even such creatures as these caged beyond great need" (p. 958).

Possible Discussion Questions:

When Gandalf and Co. arrive at Isengard, "Treebeard praised all their deeds, of which he seemed to have full knowledge; and at last he stopped and looked long at Gandalf" (p. 957).  Where does Treebeard get his news?  Are trees really that gossipy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)