Wednesday, August 19, 2015

"Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest" by Nancy Springer

I picked this up at the library because, hey, who wouldn't want to read a story about Robin Hood having a daughter?  The back told me that it was a story of a girl named Rosemary whose mother dies, so she cuts off her hair, dresses as a boy, calls herself Rowan, and sets off to find her famous father, whom she's never met.  That sounded really fun, and I couldn't wait for her to have adventures with all the Robin Hood characters I love so well.

And that's sorta what I got, except only Robin Hood is in the story much, and the rest of his merry men only show up in a couple of scenes.  Rowan/Rosemary is smart and courageous, but her mother was a "woodwife," basically a witch, and so is Rowan.  Although there wasn't much "love your mother earth" sort of stuff, it had much more of a fantasy feel than I was expecting.  So while this is an okay book, it wasn't what I was expecting, which left me a little disappointed.  However, it was fast-paced and fun.  And I believe this is the beginning of a series.

But I think I'll stick with the movie Princess of Thieves (2001) when I want stories about Robin Hood and his daughter. 

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG-13 for mentioning menstruation, developing breasts, and a girl being uncomfortable when a man urinates nearby (he thinks she's a boy).

2 comments:

  1. I checked this one out once from the library, but never got a chance to actually read it. Sounds like I'm not missing all that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I was hoping for. However, it was a very fast read, so it's not like I spent days on it (unlike Steinbeck's OMAM, which is torturing me).

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)