Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I Haven't Finished. Yet.

Today's topic from The Broke and the Bookish is "Top Ten Series I Haven't Finished Yet."


I am a big fan of series.  A series lets me spend more and more and more time with my fictional friends.  But I also love to savor a series I'm enjoying and not read it all at once.  I'm not a binge-reader (or binge-watcher).  So there are quite a few series that I have read some of, but not all, but that I'm fully intending to finish.  Gradually.


The Jane Austen Mystery books by Stephanie Barron (I've read 3)


The Irene Kelly books by Jan Burke (I've read 4)


The Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde (I've read 5)


The Mother-Daughter Book Club books by Heather Vogel Frederick (I've read 2)


The Mitford and Father Tim books by Jan Karon (I've read 6 or 7)


The Zorro books by Johnston McCulley (I've read 1)


Boy Sherlock books by Shane Peacock (I've read 3)


The Lord Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy L. Sayers (I've read 1 novel and some short stories)


The Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout (I've read more than 17)


The Jeeves books by PG Wodehouse (I've read 2 or 3)

Of course, there are quite a few series where I've read the first book and said, "Yeah, not interested in more, thanks anyway."  But maybe that will be a Top Ten Tuesday subject some other time!

14 comments:

  1. I think I've got 2 or 3 left in the Thursday Next series, but when I tried to pick up the one I was at, I had trouble getting back into it. :-(
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I had that same problem -- the first 4 were amazing, #5 was good, and #6 I had trouble getting into and didn't finish. Yet!

      Thanks for visiting :-)

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about finishing off the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries once I'm done with the Sherlock Holmes canon. I read 'The Nine Tailors' quite a few years ago and really liked it but for some reason I just never got round to the rest of them. It was the same with the Jeeves books. Read a couple, thought they were hilarious, but never finished them :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I feel like both the Lord Peter and Jeeves books are sort of snacks -- I use them to fill in gaps when I'm between big book meals :-)

      Delete
  3. You've got to read more Jeeves! They're the best! The Lord Peter Whimseys are so awesome too. Now that you mention I'm not sure I read all of those myself. :(
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/09/ten-finished-series-i-have-yet-to-finish.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, I know, I know. I really like the Jeeves books, and I even picked up the first season of Jeeves & Wooster not long ago, but I know it's not a show my husband will enjoy, so I'm saving it to binge on when he's on a business trip this fall :-o

      Delete
  4. I need to check into those Jane Austen Mysteries - haven't even heard of them! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, they're really fun! They have a delightful flavor to them, and such lovely historical details.

      Delete
  5. I've got to keep a better eye on Top Ten Tuesday; I keep missing interesting topics. I've read a bunch of the Jeeves books and love them, but when I started I didn't read them in order or know there was an order, so I never really thought of them as a series. And I'm about halfway into the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries, I think. The first few novels and the short stories were decent, but from about Unnatural Death onward they really started to pick up.

    The series I'm most eager about continuing is Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire series, which happily for me is being reissued in print and on Kindle! And I've been going very slowly through the Flavia de Luce mystery series—rather darkly quirky, so best taken in small doses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, this was one of my favorite topics so far. And yeah, the Jeeves books I've read were out of order, so I might just find out what the order is and start over with them. Though I'm not always a stickler for reading things in order -- the first Irene Kelly mystery I read was Bloodlines, which is quite far into the series. It enthralled me, and so I went back and started at the beginning.

      I haven't read either Angela Thirkell or Flavia de Luce. Yet!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these series, but there are several of them I'm interested in. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fabulous list! I've read the first three or four books in the Mitford series, but it's been years since that happened. YEARS. Until this year anyway. I went on a roadtrip with some friends back in April and we read the first one aloud while riding. And we laughed and laughed! I'd forgotten how funny Father Tim is. They really are the perfect books to read out loud with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kara. Yeah, I haven't read Mitford in way too long, but I do remember how humorous they were. And many of his parishioners as well!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)